Tuesday, February 27, 2007

When will these visitors go home?

Hi there,
This is house guest Pete writing from beautiful South Yarra, Melbourne Australia; in the very generous environment created by my hosts, Gord, Bec and Piper (and bump soon to arrive).

Jotara (my wife) and I had a storm-delayed flight across the Bass Straight, from Tasmania. That's where we live. (Please put us on your itinerary - ask Gord for contact details) After an enjoyable ride on the Sky Bus, a 24 hour airport-to-city bus service, we connected with a taxi and arrived at South Yarra at about 2130, to a warm welcome and cups of tea.

Fantastic to catch up with old Tantra buddies and share personal stories since meeting last year. All good conversation that heightened the anticipation of Gords and my planned trip to Steels Creek and the Centre for Human Transformation for a Men Breath and Spirit weekend, beginning the next day.

A short walk in the morning and I'm shopping in Toorak, Melbourne's designer shopping mecca. Then back to meet Gord, after his day at work to begin our journey and the start of the weekend course.

Although it was peak hour Gord and I made our way on the train across town to rendezvous with another Tantra buddy Andrew in minutes. A beer later and we were on the road, styling in Andrew's old C-class Mercedes. (Andrew's a musician, music producer and a hell of a breather!)

The journey through the picturesque Yarra Valley was a meditation in itself and ended with a trial for the old Merc; a steep gravel driveway, recently scared by a 60mm rainstorm. (That's 60mm in one hour!) After two attempts at the hill it was decided to take the alternative but prohibited route, through the vineyard which put me on edge. This weekend was going to be far from the expected.

Giving our explanation of the difficulties on the driveway our excuse was accepted and the circle began, an evening of getting to know the other thirteen participants and gearing up for the breathing exploration the next two days would bring.

I had attended one other Men Breath and Spirit weekend three months previous and had an idea of the potential personal changes and challenges that lay ahead, but I still felt a little apprehensive as I retired for the evening. Gord, cool as ever, made the comment that this was his "first breathwork session" with a hint of nervous excitement.

Saturday came, and I was in the first group to take the mat and breath through a session. It opened me up so that I felt like a jelly-baby inside, vulnerable and fragile. Saturday night was early to bed given the impact of the day. As I rose at 0630 to prepare the chip heater for hot showers, I felt well primed for the new breathing technique to be introduced that day.

So I imagined taking my last breath and eventually found a peaceful place inside, a wonderful mysterious journey that has left me centered. grounded and full of life.

This morning I'm on my way from the South Yarra haven so generously shared by Gord, Bec and Piper. The opportunity to share experiences with such a connected family has enriched my time in Melbourne and my energy for life to come.

Thank you friends.

Pete:)











No comments: