Thursday, October 16, 2008

Transition in NZ

Feeling a bit weepy in our apartment in Auckland (just for one night). So much transition in the last few days. Hard to know that our house has been totally dismantled, and probably passed on, by now, even though it was always going to be this way… Makes it feel like it was never our place, even though we made it home for a while.

It feels surreal that the time has come to return to Australia. A part of me can’t believe that we’ll be there tomorrow, hugs all round at Tullamarine with Mum and Dad. It’s been so long coming, in a way. And yet it’s not like our time in Canada felt long, not when I reflect on it from this end of things. Moments felt long and I felt far away from home sometimes, but in its entirety, it seems like the time went very quickly.



The space on Waiheke Island was very good. Got a bit of the jetlag processed, although we’re all still going to bed early and getting up early. Constant sound of the waves. Lots of travelling around the place on the bus, which the kids loved. And I loved too. Time on the beach. Beautiful, beautiful overland hike, Piper walking all the way and Jasper in our arms. Good to spend time with the kids with little other distractions (of work or projects or social life, etc.). Exploring other towns – usually the cafes! The food! No internet, only now in Auckland. Instead, I deleted around 2.5gb of photos off my computer from 2007. We bought the camera just before Jasper was born in May, so we were a bit trigger happy! Felt great to declutter, even in my digital landscape.

(jetlag!)

(riding the bus)


Been drinking lots of coffee! Flat whites made by someone else for $4 here in NZ, which comes as a shock after being in Canada, but it’s so nice! Makes me feel at home somehow, or closer to home, all this brewed coffee available from everywhere.

The kids travelled very well, on the whole. Jasper really notices the transitions, needs more hugs, but so do I. He had a really crappy night’s sleep the night before we left, which was pretty stressful for us (he fell asleep around 6.30am!). But somehow we managed, got through the six hours at Vancouver Airport (we all crashed out on the nursery floor for an hour and a half, not that we slept, but it was lovely to be in a quiet, dark space). And somehow the interminable night on the aeroplane passed. How can thirteen hours on a plane pass, especially with tired young children? But somehow it did. It went well, but if I never do a long flight with young children again, I shall be very happy. The difference from last time to this, last time when we travelled with Piper, was that neither Gord nor I brought hardly anything for ourselves to do or read, etc., cos the reality is, you don’t get time to read with two kids! A bit of TV watching and that’s it. Felt good to be realistic – we’re getting to be real parents!

(Oneroa beach)





(Piper's shot of me)

(The picturesque walk!)


Anyway, I know this is probably only interesting to me. I’m just venting. Hope the photos balance my words a bit! Love to all, from this transitional limbo space. Lots of missing and sadness to process, and somehow squeeze some anticipation in there too… not sure how I can hold both…

6 comments:

Monica said...

love, love, love the pictures (and the words).

you look happy and home. I would never guess you'd traveled hours on a plane and were getting over jetlag. :)

Kelelee said...

Hey guys, hope the flight back was ok... AM SO LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOU!!! I've missed you so much. All your photos are completely awesome.. they always look like a thousand bucks! So much change all round I think, so much to talk about. xoxox

Anonymous said...

Looks beautiful!! Glad to hear the flight went well. Miss you all already.

Michelle said...

hey guys
I found the transition back to Canada pretty tough, as I may have shared with you Bec, and it took so much time for me to really settle in. so many different emotions are tough to deal with. Your in my prayers. glad to know you are having a good time in NZ!! Great pics and Bec I always love your blogs! reminds me of you and how much I really really love and appreciate you. Hopefully I will see you soon
Michelle

Anonymous said...

i have tears, both happy and sad. miss you lots but also glad for you to be really home. thanks for posting and hugs to all of you. will email you soon. love ya.

Anonymous said...

You all look very happy to be back home. All the best as you adjust to your new home, new surroundings and connect with your family and friends. I love all the pics. you've posted, keep 'em coming! Btw, 3rd birth, 3rd baby boy! He was born on Oct.15/08.