Sunday, February 10, 2008

Week 5

What a blowsy old day! The wind is whipping snow into new positions and the schteeming (no idea how you spell it!, but it means the snow being blown low across the road, so that the surface looks like dry ice) was disconcerting! Facing into the breeze, I gasped as a baby does when you blow gently on its face! Hard to breath in! It's around minus 42, I think...

But life goes on - Gord and Piper still headed to the pool, while I dragged Jasper to the scrapbook cottage and the supermarket. I brought a blanket and covered him totally (on top of the usual snowsuit) to and from the car - he was very patient! Babies here learn patience, in the winter! This evening we'll head to Jeff and Sharon's to hang out - much better than bouncing off each other (and the walls) at home.

I've been feeling up and down, but every time I'm down, more pieces of the puzzle come together, which hopefully makes for a different, more conscious experience next time I'm down! My Thursdays and Fridays are better than the less structured Mondays and Tuesdays (Wednesday is my day off). On Thursdays the kids and I head to story time at the library, and on Fridays, we usually walk with Darlene and her neighbour to a playgroup. Mother's groups/playgroups never worked for me in Aust, cos I had more social connections, but here, it feels like a lifesaver. I'm enjoying getting to know the other mums.

Everyone else in my family seems to be going very well! The swimming lessons stretch Piper, but the water is becoming a more familiar space. Jasper is just fantastic - he has the beginnings of two teeth, says bye-bye and waves his hand when he's heading off to bed, and is learning how to hi-five with Gord in the mornings - he is such fun! And yeah, he busts a mean move!

Gord and I enjoy discussing many ideas, and sharing our experience of being here - this process often keeps us chatting late into the night, so the mornings are pretty slow around here (well, Gord still has to go to work, but the kids and I are slow!). Anyway, I could rave on more, but everyone else is asleep here, and we're supposed to be at Jeff and Sharon's soon, so I should go get them mobilised. Without further ado, here's some shots of Week 5 of 2008 here in frigid Steinbach!







2 comments:

Michelle said...

aww that close up of Jasper is such a Piper look!!!! its freezing here too!! got down to minus 52 last night Bryan said. argh. i find myself wondering more and more why i came back. I have a friend who has been in Perth since September and his photos are gorgeous!!! so sad.

rachmate said...

Hey my love... it is great to see you guys everyweek... we need to get Jasper and Beth together... Beth dances to our ringtone on our phones.... take care see you soon
rachelle